Header Menu

Sunday, April 19, 2015

47) Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep

The Blurb :

There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

My Thoughts :

I love Jennifer Estep's books and can't get enough of her wonderful stories.  This new Young Adult series had an ok blurb but a boring cover and I wondered if this was going to be the first bad book of the bunch.  However within a few pages I knew that this was going to be another hit!

Jennifer Estep has outdone herself again by inventing yet another amazing concept that broadens the Paranormal Urban Fantasy genre.  A new twist on the usual paranormal talents and some nice fantasy additions make this first in a new series really stand out.  Forget the Young adult label and concentrate on another set of great characters who all have a compelling story to tell.  A tale of magic and family feuds. A story that follows a strong and clever young lady who can kick-ass with the best of them.

I won't go into details as far as the plot is concerned because I don't want to spoil things for anyone who is waiting for this new release which hits the shelves next week.  However I will say that there is some romance, a lot of action and a nice new paranormal community involved in Cold Burn of Magic.  Of course there is a subtle nod to the other locations of Estep's books and maybe one day they will all get together for a story or two.

Cold Burn of Magic is just a confirmation that this author is one, if not the best, in the genre.  The new ideas and different angles jump from the story and grab you and don't let go till the end.  There is everything that you have come to expect from this author and then some in the first of the Black Blade books and I can't wait for more.

If you are a fan of Jennifer's work then you need to get a copy of Cold Burn of Magic as soon as possible.  The opening scenes are just the beginning of a wonderful and magical read that stands out and takes control.   Lila's attitude and strength is inspiring and I am really looking forward to finding out more about her and her past.




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: