Header Menu

Monday, July 14, 2014

79) Bowled Over by Victoria Hamilton

The Blurb :

Vintage kitchenware and cookbook collector Jaymie Leighton has been estranged from her high school best friend Kathy Cooper since they were teenagers, but she never knew what turned Kathy against her. After fireworks at a Fourth of July picnic, Jaymie discovers the body of her former friend in the park. On the ground nearby is Jaymie’s own Depression-era glass bowl, broken in two.

With her fingerprints all over the bowl and a troubled history with the victim, Jaymie suddenly finds herself at the top of the list of suspects. Did the killer intend to frame her for the murder? If so, she is ready to mix it up, because solving crimes is vintage Jaymie Leighton…

My Thoughts :

A long time ago, so long ago that it is embarrassing.  I saw a book up for review that I wanted to try and requested it.  It was a book by Victoria Hamilton's Vintage Kitchen Mysteries.  Now what I didn't know is that the book I requested was the third book in the series and within a few pages I realised I was ruining the series if I didn't read the books in order.  So I decided to get hold of the first two books and catch up quick.

Unfortunately I didn't catch up as fast as I hoped to and it is only now that I have finally managed to read the second book in the series and still have that third installment waiting for review!!  The worst thing about all this is that I am really enjoying the series so far.  Despite not really understanding anything about the vintage kitchenware or the recipes the characters are nice, the location interesting and the mysteries are well written.

Bowled Over is the second installment and the whole way through I was putting pieces together a little quicker than Jaymie.  I even knew who the murderer was but I wasn't quite sure how it all fit together.  I enjoyed coming across the clues as they appeared.  Some of which Jaymie didn't notice until later but that added some excitement to the story and stopped her from being a perfect know it all.

Anyone looking for something new in the cozy mystery genre should give this series a try.  The concept is unusual and maybe like me you aren't really interested in the Vintage Kitchen angle.  However it is a nice little twist and doesn't take over the whole book.  It is makes for interesting reading and maybe you will learn something along the way or get a kick out the whole thing.

Now I hope to read the third book within the next couple of weeks and finally send in my review (if I still can!) and hope that the next installment is as good as the first two so I can give it a big thumbs up.






Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: