Header Menu

Thursday, June 6, 2013

79) Grave Dance by Kalayna Price

The Blurb :

Whoever said dead men tell no tales obviously never met Alex Craft.

After a month spent recovering from a vicious fight with a sorcerer, grave witch Alex Craft is ready to get back to solving murders by raising the dead. With her love life in turmoil thanks to the disappearance of Fae Investigation Bureau agent Falin Andrews and a shocking “L” word confession from Death himself, Alex is eager for the distractions of work. But her new case turns out to be a deadly challenge.

The police hire Alex to consult on a particularly strange investigation in the nature preserve south of Nekros City. The strange part: There are no corpses, only fragments of them. A serial killer is potentially on the loose, and Alex has no way to raise a shade without a body, so she’ll have to rely on the magic of others to find leads. But as she begins investigating, a creature born of the darkest magic comes after her. Someone very powerful wants to make sure the only thing she finds is a dead end—her own.

My Thoughts :

Grave Dance is the second book in the Alex Craft series and a set of books I am kicking myself for not reading sooner.  I really enjoyed the first book, Grave Witch, and was really excited about getting around to reading this sequel.  So I couldn't resist this one long when it was given to me as a present.  I had to know what Alex got up to next and how the series would develop.

Things had changed a bit in this book and the author quickly gets the reader up to date with mentioning some of the work Alex has done since the last book.  She is a little more financially secure and her work load is heavier.  However her private life is just as messed up as it was with death hanging around and some other interesting characters paying her visits.

The world that the author has developed for this series is very cool with witches of all kinds as well as fae, ghosts and some other fantastical creatures.  Even though some of the elements are quite complicated I don't really have a problem keeping up with everything.  The author has a way of writing about things in such a way that you feel like you already know how things work.  It comes across as a reminder and as nothing new.

Very good Urban Fantasy and definitely one to try if you haven't already.  I am really looking forward to reading the third book and may even have to treat myself to it.  Although I am a little worried about there being no fourth book announced.  Was this only a trilogy?  I like Alex Craft a lot already and hope that the third book isn't the last.




     Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog    
          

6 comments:

Mardel said...

I love when I read a post/review that reminds me I have that particular book sitting around (somewhere) waiting for me to open it. sometimes I buy so many books, that I forget to read some...and I lose some (temporarily, of course). So it's wonderful to be reminded and also to hear that book is worth reading. :)

I read the first one and enjoyed it quite a bit. Enough to buy the second. I would love to get a hold of her other series, the one about the vampire/were. That one sounds pretty interesting also.

Becky said...

This is a new series to me, but I like the sounds it. I'm going to have to get these first two books. Thanks for sharing this review with us.

Aurian said...

I do love this series very much, and I am with you, I hope for more books!

Aurian said...

Book 4, Grave Visions will be published in August according to Fantasticfiction. I need to pre-order it immediately!

Unknown said...

Thank you Aurian! That is great news!

I just looked at the author website and there wasn't anything listed there...looked dim but now I am excited!

Aurian said...

Authors really should take more care in updating their websites. Which I why I very rarely venture there.