Header Menu

Sunday, May 26, 2013

71) The Monsters in Your Neighbourhood by Jesse Petersen

The Blurb :

As one of Frankenstein’s Creatures, Natalie Gray knows that unique parts sometimes make up a great whole. Still, leading a diverse support group for monsters—now including Cthulhu!—isn’t an easy task. Especially not since the internet arrived.

New York City embraces the different and the bizarre. Still, even for such a fun-loving city, the supernatural and monstrous might be a bit too much. It’s been six months since the members of “Club Monstrosity” overcame the most recent spate of anti-monster violence and they’ve reestablished their routine of meeting in a church basement once a week to (ugh!) talk about their feelings. Still, they also know a war against them is brewing.

Natalie and Alec (the werewolf) have begun dating, and the mummies Kai and Rehu are tighter than a bug in a…well, bandage. But when modern means (YouTube, Twitter, bits and bytes) are used to chilp away at the solidarity of these ancient monsters, it’s up to Natalie to save the day. #MonstersInNewYork may be trending on Twitter, but this girl’s trending toward saving the day…somehow.

My Thoughts :

After reading Club Monstrosity (the first in a new series by this author) I couldn't resist this sequel for very long. Even though it doesn't come out until the end of July and I know I should hold out to read it a little closer to the release date, well I just couldn't! The first part was just so good. I couldn't stop myself and before I knew what I was doing the book was read.

If I thought that the debut was good then I thought this sequel was just amazing. Still the perfect New York City location and even more great monster mystery madness. The characters and their AA type meetings for monsters are now being led by Natalie and it seems the monsters are now at war. However more threatening is the chance of them all being brought out into the limelight due to an exhibition of monster killing in front of an audience.

What comes after this is just pure original and wonderful writing. The concept of this series is nothing I have seen before and the author has really come up with something unique. Instead of using the normal pararnormal creatures she has pulled out famous and unusual supernaturals from famous books, TV and Film. Meet Frankenstein's monster working in the city morgue, a mummy working in the beauty industry and Jeckyll with Hyde. It is a super mix up of Urban Fantasy which answers the question of 'If these creatures did indeed ever exsist, where would they be now?'

If you are looking for something a little different and are bored of the typical vampire and werewolf adventure then you don't have to look any further, The Monstrosity series is the one for you. Perfectly mysterious but also interestingly fun, this is another must read for me. I already knew Jesse's work was great but she really has out done herself this time around. Looking forward to the next meeting and which members will turn up next.






     Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository




Amberkatze's Book Blog    

           

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I recently won Married with Zombies by this author, which I know you loved, so if I like it, I will probably buy the rest of her books. Thanks for the great review, it really does sound like something I would love.