Header Menu

Saturday, May 11, 2013

58) Payoff by Alex Hughes

The Blurb :


Being a telepath, I should have seen the hell I was getting myself into...

I used to be one of the most powerful telepaths in the guild. That was before my drug addiction and before they kicked me out. But I'm not a bad guy. Now I help the Atlanta PD solve murders. And even though there are only a few people I call friends, I'd do most anything to keep their trust.

So when a judge asks me to help investigate a missing college kid, I'm down for it. No questions asked. No problem. But in this dark world, things are never easy and a favor is never just a favor. Turns out, politicians don't like being murder suspects. And it's bad to anger someone with more power than you. I thought I had nothing to lose... I was wrong.


My Thoughts :


The other day I had time to do some reading but I didn't want to start a book and get sidetracked by work all week and not get back to it.  So I decided to pick out a novella to read to fill the gap.  I have found the Mindspace Investigations to be amazing so far and couldn't wait to try this short story and hopefully find out some more about one of the new series I have put on my must read list.

As novellas go this wasn't a bad one.  It was a good story with a solid plot but as with most short stories it just wasn't long enough.  Things weren't rushed but I felt the unique concept this series offers just wasn't shown in this minor mystery.  The Mindscape Investigations didn't come across to be as special and dangerous as I have come to know them while the characters didn't really have a chance to shine.

Payoff fits in between the first and second books in the series and can be read without reading the other two books.  Actually if you want to try the series this might be a good way to take a look before committing to the full length novels.  Although I have to warn you!  The full length novels are way better!

A series that is on my must read list and my pre-order list.  A set of characters I am finding to be likable and mysterious.  A concept that is just too different and special to describe.  Make sure you visit the Mindscape Investigations sometime soon!



     
  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

No comments: