Header Menu

Monday, December 3, 2012

160) Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

The Blurb :

Life in Marblehead has had a pleasant predictability, until Diesel arrives. Rumor has it that a collection of priceless ancient relics representing the Seven Deadly Sins have made their way to Boston’s North Shore. Partnered with pastry chef Lizzie Tucker, Diesel bullies and charms his way through historic Salem to track them down—and his criminal mastermind cousin Gerewulf Grimorie. The black-haired, black-hearted Wulf is on the hunt for the relic representing gluttony. Caught in a race against time, Diesel and Lizzie soon find out that more isn’t always better, as they battle Wulf and the first of the deadly sins.

My Thoughts :

I have been reading Janet Evanovich books ever since I came across one in a library some ten or so years ago. Her Stephanie Plum series is a favourite of mine and her other books have never really reached those standards. So I wasn't really expecting much from this new series. What made me want to read this in the first place was Diesel. He has, if I remember correctly, appeared in the Christmas stories set in the Plum world. So I was looking forward to getting to know him better.

As stories go this wasn't too bad. It actually has a bit or supernatural/magic going on so it had some good content. However the flow of the story was a little too rushed and wild for my liking. Everything happened so quickly, the main characters accepted all the weirdness way too fast and sometimes it felt as is a chapter was missing or at least a few paragraphs. Things were slightly predictable. Sure nobody saw the monkey coming but the general gist was easy enough to predict. After all the author has a certain way of writing and after all these years she can't really surprise me anymore.

Despite these negative points I found myself liking the book. Lizzie has a bit of Stephanie in her and the crazy and weird animals made me giggle more than once. Cupcakes are always a huge plus and even though they weren't real it was nice to read about how good they were. Evanovich doesn't skimp on food details. Ever.

Clever, funny and a bit kooky this wasn't a bad beginning to the series and could possibly be just as interestingly amusing as the Plum series. I will be checking out ither books in the series but I am not in a rush to do so. Lizzie and Diesel will obviously get together so I don't feel need to visit them again straight away. If I am wrong? Well it will be a nice surprise and I will enjoy the sequel just that little bit more becaus the author managed to surprise me.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

No comments: