Header Menu

Saturday, September 8, 2012

128) In a Fix by Linda Grimes

The Blurb :

Snagging a marriage proposal for her client while on an all-expenses-paid vacation should be a simple job for Ciel Halligan, aura adaptor extraordinaire. A kind of human chameleon, she’s able to take on her clients’ appearances and slip seamlessly into their lives, solving any sticky problems they don’t want to deal with themselves. No fuss, no muss. Big paycheck.

This particular assignment is pretty enjoyable... that is, until Ciel’s island resort bungalow is blown to smithereens and her client’s about-to-be-fiancĂ© is snatched by modern-day Vikings. For some reason, Ciel begins to suspect that getting the ring is going to be a tad more difficult than originally anticipated.

Going from romance to rescue requires some serious gear-shifting, as well as a little backup. Her best friend, Billy, and Mark, the CIA agent she’s been crushing on for years—both skilled adaptors—step in to help, but their priority is, annoyingly, keeping her safe. Before long, Ciel is dedicating more energy to escaping their watchful eyes than she is to saving her client’s intended.

Suddenly, facing down a horde of Vikings feels like the least of her problems.

My Thoughts :

Recently I have been reading a lot of series that are already established and are more or less ready to end or should be thinking about ending. There is definitely a need for some great new books that have great exciting concepts and are uniquely fresh. In A Fix fits all of the above requirements and then some.

The blurb already spurred some hope but it wasn't until I had read the first few chapters that I knew this was the next good new thing. We have had enough werewolves and shapeshifters in many shapes and forms but an aura adaptor is certainly new to me. What the author has done to the idea is absolutely ingenious and I loved every moment of Ciel's debut.

Many new authors seem to pack to much into their debut book. Lots of information and long drawn out explanations are a huge bore and take the fun out of the read. Linda Grimes manages to make you feel at home straight away. No long-winded descriptions but the bare essentials to keep you in the loop and hooked. I didn't feel like I was missing any key pieces of the puzzle and Ciel led me the whole way through the story as if she had been doing it for years.

I don't want to go to deeply into the story and plot because I feel it would ruin the element of surprise and fun. The blurb says enough and if the human chameleon aspect even slightly tickles your fancy then you need to try this one. This isn't over the top but well written and realistic. The characters rock and I love the love interests (yes plural) and like Ciel I think I would find it hard to choose.

If you are looking for something new and fresh, look no further. In A Fix is one of the best debuts I have read in a long time and a series I am putting on my must read list. I will be pre-ordering the second book, Quick Fix, as soon as possible. Loved this and hope you will all give it a try and love it too!

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


2 comments:

Diane said...

Ok this book sounds good!

Aurian said...

Nice review Amber this one is on my wishlist.