Header Menu

Thursday, June 7, 2012

81) Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

The Blurb :

Paranormal private eye. Grim reaper extraordinaire. Whatever. Charley Davidson is back! And she's drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because every time she closes her eyes she sees him: Reyes Farrow, the part-human, part-supermodel son of Satan.

Granted she did imprison Reyes for all eternity, but how is she supposed to solve a missing-persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hell-bent on murder when the devil's son just won't give up on his plan of seduction..... and revenge?

My Review :

I already thought this series was amazing after reading the first two books but now I think it it totally awesome! Some authors manage to lose track of things, get boring or just mess up the storyline but Darynda Jones is pulling rabbits out of hats left, right and center! I didn't think the third book would keep the pace, I wondered if this time something would bother me, put me off or annoy me. However it seems the author is going for a home run because book four isn't out yet and I love it already.

Charley Davidson is your normal P.I except she is a reaper. This fact alone is enough to interest anyone who likes to read Urban Fantasy. Sure the reaper thing has been done before and will be done again but this time it is exceptionally different and amazingly written. The new angle is refreshing and the writing style makes you scream, laugh and cry.

Death is a serious thing but with the wit and humour of Darynda Jones and the hilarious bumper sticker and T-shirt quotes you can't help but find it funny. While listening to this book I found myself laughing in the street, rolling my eyes when certain things happened and also grinning like a cheshire cat at Charley's extremely amusing life. This book made me feel good and I couldn't wait to go to work or leave again because it meant I could carry on listening to the book.

Great plot this time around and some more Reyes info comes to light. Actually quite a bit of the storyline revolves around his past and there are some interesting twists and turns. Two other cases take up Charley's time and one even shows the hope of a new character joining the crew. It would certainly make things interesting. All the other people in Charley's life make an appearance at one point or another and each and every one of them is special.

I can't wait for the next installment, Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet, which releases in October. Such a long wait!!! I just hope the audio version releases at the same time because I could not imagine reading this series. The narrator, Lorelei King, does such an amazing job that I HAVE to listen to this series. Strange but true! This is on my must listen list...a list I didn't have until this series came along.

Check out the books! You won't regret it. Well maybe you will but at least I can guarantee you will have a few laughs along the way.


Charley Davidson Series :

#1 - First Grave on the Right
#2 - Second Grave to the Left
#3 - Third Grave Dead Ahead
#4 - Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Due out in October)




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


3 comments:

Diane said...

Absolutely great books and I have them on audio!

Becky said...

I just finished reading the first one and I loved it. I'll be starting the second one soon.

Sheila said...

This is a set I really want to read.
I have never read any but heard great things about this author.