Header Menu

Saturday, March 12, 2011

36) Forsaken by Jana Oliver

The Blurb -

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

My Thoughts -

This book wasn't easy to get hold of. It is actually called 'The Demon Trapper's Daughter' if you look for it on Amazon.com. Unfortunately it wasn't available to me in Europe. Then I realised that this book was released in the UK earlier than in the US and under another name. Confused yet? I certainly was. So imagine my surprise when I found a copy at a UK service station last week. Made my day! Was it worth all the hassle though? Yes! I loved this one and all the time I was reading it I was dying to write a 'buy this book now' post!

There was a lot going on in Forsaken and I wonder where the series will go next. An amazing new world and concept is started in this new series and it pulls you within a few chapters and doesn't let you go till the end. Demons are the main paranormal feature and they are quite cool little buggers. There are also some other supernaturals mentioned and I can't wait to see if we will meet more of them in future books.

Full of action and with a gripping storyline there isn't really much more you could ask for from this first book in the series. It has everything you want and a little bit more and I was sad to see the book come to an end. Riley is a wonderful strong character and Beck is someone I can't wait to read more about. This was new, unusual and very clever. Even better than I thought and hoped it would be.

Despite this being a YA book it isn't really for younger readers (actually on the back of my copy it says 'For Older Readers') and I think this is a super urban fantasy for any adult. I am going to be recommending this one to quite a few friends and I am sure some of them will be getting copies for their birthday this year. I really can't wait for the next book and I hope that the publishers will make the release of book two a little less complicated and confusing!

3 comments:

Aurian said...

Great review, and I think I will try this one out. If I search on author, I will find either one of the titles I guess?

Unknown said...

As long as it has something to do with Demon Trappers then you are getting the right book ;)

Brenda Demko said...

I actually have The Demon Trapper's Daughter on my tbr list. Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear about all the hassle you went through to read it.I'm glad you felt it was worth the effort!